27 October 2010

Leipzig

A few days ago, we were in Leipzig. It's a beautiful city in East Germany, a place that has changed a great deal in the past twenty years, a place that's still changing. It has a lot of beautiful architecture, a lot of ugly buildings and a huge number of building projects. The fragment of wall in the picture above sat in a large construction zone - we weren't sure why they had left it up, but it seemed to be there to stay.
Our route through Germany followed a progression from rural to urban, and Leipzig marked the spot on the continuum just before "metropolis." It was a city, for sure, and it had a lot of great city things to do - but it still felt cozy and small. There were only a couple of areas where people gathered at night, and it was easy to find where they were.
A good part of the city fit the "post-communism punk" aesthetic that is actually somewhat of an unfair stereotype. Despite the graffiti and peeling paint, Leipzig is a prosperous city. People dress well, drive new cars and shop in expensive, boutique food markets.
There are a lot of these currywurst places. Essentially, it's a hotdog in a curry-ketchup sauce. I'm sure Germans would argue that it's more nuanced than that, but I don't know if I could ever understand what the fuss is about.
We stumbled upon this flea market in the south of the city, in a courtyard off Karl Lieberstrasse. There were a large number of vendors selling used children's clothing and toys, which was interesting. It was frustrating for Rebecca, though, because nothing fit her.
Leipzig has a huge zoo, which is famous in Germany and which was over-run with little kids, as zoos typically are. We spent a long time there, even though it was depressing. They had all the usual zoo animals - lions, tigers, bears plus giraffes, monkeys, gorillas, etc. We took a lot of pictures but - predictably - they are all very sad. Nobody wants to see pictures of animals in their pens. The aquarium section was less inhumane, of course, because fish don't have feelings. These carp-type fish were in a special "petting tank," so that kids could grab at them and push them around in the water. It was fascinating to watch.
One of the coolest things about East Germany is the abundance of cool, old cars I'd never seen before. This one is a Wartburg 312 (not a name that would go over well with Americans), and it has a retractable fabric panel over the rear section of the body. Someone took very good care of it, obviously, because it was in great condition. Of course, we joked, it might have been made in 1989.

6 comments:

  1. My name is Mrs Aisha Mohamed, am a Citizen Of Qatar.Have you been looking for a loan?Do you need an urgent personal loan or business loan?contact Dr James Eric Finance Home he help me with a loan of $42,000 some days ago after been scammed of $2,800 from a woman claiming to been a loan lender but i thank God today that i got my loan worth $42,000.Feel free to contact the company for a genuine financial service. Email:(financialserviceoffer876@gmail.com) call/whats-App Contact Number +918929509036

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Everybody,

    My name is Bhagwan Kumawzt by name and I live in the POLAND and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation get any kind of loan you need today, thank you, as you read greatest testimony of my life. with whatsapp+919667837169

    Testimony of a serious loan acquired, thank you very much Dr. Mark for your loan assistance of 100,000(US DOLLARS) without any upfront fee,that you give me. I will talk about your services to those around me who need a loan or financing. I am happy with the loan you have granted me Do not hesitate,if you need a loan and a real legit loan lender so just kindly contact him now and get your loan via:: markthomasfinanceltd@gmail.com whatsapp number: +919667837169

    Whats-App no +919667837169
    Company Name Ronnie Finance Ltd
    Dr. Mark Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi everyone, I've seen comments from people who have already received a loan from Anderson Loan Finance. I sincerely thought it was a scam, and then i decided to apply based on their recommendations because I really needed a loan. A few days ago, I confirmed in my personal bank account the amount of $ 12,000.00 I requested for a business with a 2% interest rate. This is really good news and I am happy to advise anyone who needs a real loan and who is very sure that they will repay the loan, contact them by Email. (fax) +1 315-329-6320.

    They can lend you a loan!
    Contact Mr. Anderson
    Email: andersonraymondloanfinance@gmail.com
    Phone: +1 315-329-6320
    Visit the office at @ (68 Fremont Ave Penrose CO, 81240)..
    Website: https://andersonraymondloanfinance.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. My name is Samuel, I was in love with my wife and we were married for eight years with a son his is Liam,I loved my wife so much she had access to all my bank account and even my cash app which my accountant agreed to and said it was a great idea, then it took my wife and my accountant two month to get hold of all my properties,all accounts but I had a cash app which they knew nothing about,I was thrown out of my own house was sleeping in a hotel for weeks she also took possession of my son could only see him once a week then I found out she was in love with my accountant all these while so I went online and I came across a Russian private investigator who help me get all my properties and my accounts back even my company back how he did these I don’t know but I gave all the information he asked for and followed all his instructions and now I’m happy my life’s better now.
    Thanks to premiumhackservices@gmail.com
    I just said I should share my own story here
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  5. HOW I GOT A LOAN FOR MY BUSINESS

    Hi everyone, I saw comments from people who have already got their loan from Steve Wilson Loan firm online, and then I decided to make a request based on their recommendations. A few days ago, I confirmed in my personal bank account amounting to $880,000, which I requested for business. This is really good news and I am so happy that I advise all those who need a real loan and who are sure to reimburse to apply through their email: stevewilsonloanfirm@gmail.com or Whatsapp +393481703911, They are legit loan lenders!
    They are able to lend you a loan.
    Contact Mr Steve Wilson.
    E-mail: stevewilsonloanfirm@gmail.com
    Whatsapp +393481703911

    ReplyDelete